We will prioritise those left behind, disadvantaged, or experiencing discrimination, and reduce inequality by changing how public services are delivered.
Our vision for equality, is for a City Region that:
- Achieves equity by doing more for those facing greatest disadvantage.
- Promotes equality, diversity, and inclusion in all that we do.
- Values and celebrates human diversity, and treats everyone with dignity and respect.
- Champions social justice and challenges discrimination and prejudice.
- Involves people in decision making, develops solutions with them and removes barriers to participation in civic life.
- Promotes inclusive organisations with a culture that recognises the benefits and opportunities of diverse workforces.
- Has accessibility at the heart of all that we provide.
We will do this because nobody’s life chances should be determined by where they were born, the colour of their skin, what they believe, who they love, their gender, chosen or otherwise, or whether they have a disability.
In addition, the Equality Act 2010 places a ‘Public Sector Equality Duty’ on public authorities like the Combined Authority to eliminate discrimination, advance equality of opportunities and foster good relations between people.
Our Corporate Plan for 2021-24 commits the Combined Authority to taking proactive action to tackle inequality, remove barriers and provide opportunities for all of our residents, increase the range of support available to people experiencing poverty, exclusion and inequality; and to improve equality outcomes across all protected characteristics.