National Graduate Development Programme
Real life. Real work. Your opportunity to make a real difference.
Now accepting graduate applications
We’re looking for the next generation of managers to join us on our graduate programme, to lead projects and deliver services that change lives in Liverpool City Region.
Working with the National Graduate Development Programme for local government, we’re looking for people who can put words into action, think agilely and work as part of a team.
You’ll need a 2:2 degree in any subject to apply and you don’t need to be a recent graduate.
Everyone who works at Liverpool City Region Combined Authority plays an important part in our success, so if you’re willing to work hard and you’re excited about making a difference then we want to hear from you.
Opportunities designed to support you
The two-year programme starts in September 2023, and you’ll complete three different placements across the business while also being supported to complete a Level 7 leadership qualification through the Institute of Leadership and Management.
You could be working on policy which helps us achieve our net zero goals, informing the future of bus reform or playing a key role in projects which will transform our region, from harnessing tidal energy, introducing hydrogen buses, improving digital infrastructure and many, many more.
You’ll also build strong professional networks by keeping in touch with a national network of other trainees across the country and we’ll match you with a mentor too, to make sure you have everything you need to succeed.
What we offer
There’s lots of reasons to join us – great pay, fantastic people and an opportunity to make a real difference to 1.6m people living and working in Liverpool City Region.
Here’s what you’ll get when you start with us as a graduate:
- Starting salary of £28,371
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- 29 days annual leave plus public holidays
- Option to buy up to 9 days additional leave each year
- All Zones MetroCard giving you free travel on buses, trains and selected Mersey Ferries services in Liverpool City Region, saving up to c. £1,450 each year OR a Mersey Tunnels T-FLOW account PLUS an All Zones Off Peak Trio ticket for your spouse or partner
- Family friendly policies including flexible working, maternity, paternity and adoption.
- On the job training – you’ll complete a level 7 Institute of Leadership and Management qualification (the equivalent of a post graduate diploma)
- Hybrid working – working remotely, including from home
- Flexi-time scheme – working flexibly between 7am-7pm and the ability to take additional time off for hours accrued
- Laptop and mobile phone
- 24/7 access to Employee Assistance Programme for you and your family
- Free counselling services
- Mentoring and coaching schemes
- Payment of professional subscription fees relevant to role
- Time off for study leave, exams and public duty
- Computer and bike loans
- Regular employee conferences and events, including an annual employee awards and celebration event
How to apply
We’re looking for graduates from a range of different backgrounds, universities and degree disciplines; our aim is to reflect the diverse communities that we serve in Liverpool City Region. You’ll need a 2:2 degree in any subject and you don’t need to be a recent graduate to apply.
- Applications are open until 12pm on Wednesday 4th January 2023
- Shortlisting takes place 18th January 2023
- If you are shortlisted, you’ll be asked to record a short video and submit it by 7th February 2023
If you are not successful with Liverpool City Region Combined Authority your application will be shared with other employers as part of the National Graduate Scheme and you may be invited to interview somewhere else in the region.Find out more